Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rock and a Hard Place revisted...

In English, there are some common idioms/expressions I think even low level students should know. One is:


It's a piece of cake.


This means it is VERY EASY and is most often used when someone is trying to persuade you to do something. For example:


A: Square dancing... I don't know, it looks kind of hard...

B: C'm'on (Come on) it'll be fun! Square dancing is a piece of cake~!

A: Really? It's not really my kind of thing...

B: How can you say that? You've never even tried it... give it a shot!

A: Ok, ok, I'll give square dancing a try.

Another expression I think is useful is:


to be (stuck) between a rock and a hard place


This means you are in a tough or impossible situation where both of your options are bad. Some possible Japanese translations are:


二進も三進も行かない

 板挟み

 進退両難 【しんたいりょうなん】 This is the one I think is closest ^_-

Al: I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Pat: What's wrong?

Al: Well my boss wants me to go on a business trip.

Pat: So? What's the big deal?

Al: Well, it's on my wedding anniversary. So if I go my wife will be really angry, if I tell my boss no he's going to get angry! Plus bye bye promotion...

Pat: Yeah, you really are in a tough spot! Where's does your boss want you to go?

Al: New York City.

Pat: I got it~! Take your wife with you and turn it into a weekend romantic getaway.

Al: Pat you're a genius~! You're a real lifesaver!

I went over this idiom a long time ago so feel free to check out that lesson here.

Have a nice night,


Phil


No comments: