Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A few, a lot, a little...

Today, we will be talking a bit about how to correctly use countable and uncountable nouns with a little, a few and a lot... many Japanese English speakers often mix them up. So here goes~!

a few + countable nouns

Can you give me a few minutes?

Talk to you in a few days.

a little + uncountable nouns

I need a little time.

There's a little sand in my shoe.

a bit of + uncountable nouns

I need a bit of time.

Do you want to listen to a bit of music?

All of these are used to talk about a small amount of something. If you want to talk about a large amount it is easier just use:

a lot of + countable OR uncountable nouns

I'll need a lot of time to finish this report by next Friday.

Wow! There are a lot of bananaS in that tree~!

Please note you need to add S to countable nouns but NOT to uncountable nouns.

Well, I hope that helps, have a nice Thursday. It's my day off, yay~! ^_^

No comments: